彭小盛

又一个WordPress站点

Carlos Brito给今年斯坦福MBA毕业生的3则建议 百威CEO-景联移民留学

Carlos Brito给今年斯坦福MBA毕业生的3则建议 百威CEO-景联移民留学

“如果世界上没有你,那么这个世界会失去什么?”
这个拷问“人生意义”的问题来自百威英博CEO Carlos Brito。上个月,他受邀回到母校斯坦福商学院进行了毕业演讲。Brito说,站在展望人生新篇章的门槛上,无论你即将进入什么领域,都可以思索一下这个问题。作为毕业30年的老校友,他为毕业生们提出了应对这个问题的三则建议。

建议#1:
跟随对的人 First who, then what
30年前,Brito考上了美国斯坦福大学MBA,成为唯一的巴西学生,但他无法担负高昂的学费。在别人的牵线搭桥下,他找到了巴西银行家Jorge Paulo Lemann。当时,Jorge在公司内部设立了奖学金,专门资助赴美深造的优秀年轻人。Brito并非公司员工,但他用诚意打动了Jorge。Jorge决定自掏腰包,破例资助Brito完成学业。
毕业前,Brito拿到了一手好Offer,他按承诺给资助人Jorge打了电话。出乎意料的是,Jorge给他开出了一个常人肯定会拒绝的Offer:回到巴西,接受一个没有职位说明的工作,并且降薪替他干活。
Brito觉得Jorge与其他商业领袖很不一样。于是,他决定放弃优渥的offer,跟随Jorge。后来的故事你们都知道了,他成为了全球最大啤酒公司的CEO,一步一步带领公司完成看似不可能的野心。
建议#2:
走出舒适圈 Go out of comfort zone
来到美国上学的Brito一开始十分胆怯。他身边围绕着来自全球各地的精英同学,由于英语并非母语,在上课讨论时难免尴尬。但是到了第二个学期,第二学年,他发现自己已经能够应对自如。
他以自己的亲身经历告诉大家,如果只停留在自己的舒适圈,那么永远在走自己的老路,学习收获将变得很少江淑娜老公 。只有不断高标准、严要求,才能不断进步,释放自己的潜能。Brito说,人只能活一次,千万不要长时间地呆在舒适圈中。开启艰难模式,你将获得更多。如果没有阵痛,说明你没有成长。

建议#3:设定更高层面的驱动力
Set higher order motivation
想象一下,两栋高楼间有一条钢索。有人跟你说,如果你能顺利走过去,就可以拿到100万美金,但是有1%的可能性掉下去失去生命。你的答案是什么?
也许你会说,以生命为代价获得金钱,不值得。
但再想象一下,如果你的兄弟姐妹就在高楼的另一端,马上就要失去生命,只有你走过钢索才能解救他们,你的答案又是什么?
Brito说很多人会给出肯定的答案。
如果你的驱动力只是关乎于你,比如为自己获得金钱,那么这股力量肯定还不够强大。但如果这个驱动力关乎你最爱的人vs岚 ,比如涉及到他们的安危,那么这股来自更高层面的力量,就像北极星一样,指引你走正确的路,做正确的事。
“如果世界上没有你,那么这个世界会失去什么?”
你,有自己的答案吗?

演讲原文:
Good afternoon, everyone!
Dean Levin, Dean Emeritus Joss, Fellow Members of the Stanford Board of Trustees and the Stanford GSB Advisory Council, distinguished faculty and administration, thank you for having me here today. It is always a pleasure to be back at Stanford GSB.
I can’t believe it’s been almost 30 years since I graduated. I remember sitting with my classmates. I remember hearing our commencement speaker.
I do not, however, remember a single word that person said.
So just in case any of you follow in my footsteps, I will start with the most important part: Congratulations to the class of 2018!
I also want to acknowledge a few very special people in the audience. In 1989, my parents weren’t able to come from Brazil for my graduation. Well, they’re here today, alongside my wife Belinda and my four kids.
In special moments like these, there is nothing better than being surrounded by people you love most. I am sure it’s a feeling I share with so many of you right now. So before I really get started please join me in giving a big round of applause to all the parents, family, and friends of the Class of 2018.
Now, about ten years ago, I was giving a talk not unlike this one, only I was dressed very differently, and there were not nearly as many people. Instead, the audience was a group of trainees from our company, AB InBev. I gave my talk. I did some Q&A. I said, “Well, time for one last question.”
And that’s when this hand shot up.
I said, “What’s your name?”
“Ludmila from Ukraine.”
“Okay, what’s your question?”
“Brito what would the world miss, if our company did not exist?”
I was like, holy cow.
And then I did what you do when you need more time. I said, “What’s your name again?” Thinking…“Where are you from again?” Thinking… “Kiev? I’ve been to Kiev, beautiful city.” Thinking…
Finally… I said that my colleagues and I would miss our company culture and that our consumers would miss our brands. But later I came back to my top people and said, “We need to think more about this.”
Class of 2018, you leave this campus prepared to succeed. But you didn’t come to a place like Stanford just to be successful. You came here because you want to be exceptional. So as you begin the next chapter, I want to challenge you with a question that probably never came up in class — a version of the question I was asked about a decade ago:
What would the world miss, if you, did not exist? I don’t mean that literally, of course. Every one you is tremendously talented, and surrounded by people who care about you. I pose this question in a global context: Why is humanity better off because you are here?
No matter what field you enter, tackling this question is going to be one of the most important things you ever do. I can’t promise you’ll ever find the final answer.
What I’d like to do, however, is suggest a few ways of approaching the world — simple habits I learned at this university and throughout my career — that can help you address this question. Not just today, but over the course of your life.
I’ll begin by telling you about how I arrived here. I was the only Brazilian accepted to Stanford GSB in my year. I badly wanted to go. Only one problem: I couldn’t afford it.
But I knew there was a businessman in Brazil who owned an investment bank, and sometimes gave loans to his employees hoping to get MBAs abroad. I was able to meet him. I wasn’t one of his employees, but still, I made my case. And this businessman, Jorge, agreed to give me a scholarship for my first year — not from his bank, but from his personal account.
I said, “Jorge, I won’t be able to pay you back anytime soon.”
He said, “No, no, I don’t want you to pay me back. I want just three things. One, keep me informed about your classes. Two, help somebody in the future, the way I’m helping you. And three, before you accept any full-time job offer, come talk to me.”
Fast forward two years. I graduated Stanford with seven or eight job offers like everyone else. They were on fancy letterhead. My salary, training period, bonus … everything right in front of me.
But I had made a promise to talk to Jorge, and he also made me an offer.
Except his offer was made over the phone. No paper. No fancy letterhead.
And here was the offer: Move back to Brazil, at a time when everyone wanted to be in the U.S. or Europe; accept a job, without knowing the job description; and take a pay cut of around 80 percent compared to my best offer.
So that didn’t make sense.
Except for the fact that at the time when Jorge decided to pay for my first year, he also invited me to come for a two-week internship, where I met his partners and learn about his business and culture. These people were very different than people at other companies where I had worked before. That left me with a deep appreciation for the quality of his partners, their values and how fast paced it was. This was a place I could see myself being not just for two or three years, but for a long time.
So I decided to bet on Jorge. I took his offer. My dad almost killed me — and that was before he found out about the 80 percent pay cut.
29 years later, Jorge Paulo Lemann is one of the world’s most successful business leaders. And I’m still at the same company where I accepted that first offer, just a much bigger company.
Graduates, throughout your life, you’ll have the chance to bet on job titles, on salaries, on job offers on fancy letterhead.
Here’s my advice: Don’t bet on things. Bet on people instead. Join people you admire, respect. People that inspire you, with whom you share the same values鬼娃孽种 , and from whom you can learn. You will never regret it. As my former Professor here at Stanford GSB, Jim Collins, would say养兽成夫 , First Who then What.
My second piece of advice also begins with something I learned here at Stanford. See, growing up, I was used to being top of my class. Then I got here, and there were people from all over the world, and guess what? They were all at the top of their classes, too. And I was intimidated to participate in case discussions, because I was not a native English speaker, and language was a barrier.
But by the second quarter, I learned how to deal with it a little better. And by the second year I started to think, “Hey, I can do this.” Getting through Stanford GSB was not impossible. It was just … really hard.
I later realized that that place — not impossible, just really hard — turns out to be the best place you can be.
Because that place — not impossible, just really hard — takes you out of your comfort zone. Human beings can learn only so many things each day. If you stay too long within your comfort zone, you fall into some sort of routine, and your learning curve flattens. If you go 10 years without learning anything,彭小盛 you won’t be able to learn ten times as much in year eleven to compensate. It doesn’t work like that.
A good way to think about this is the high jump. If the bar is never moved higher there is no reason for anyone to perform at a higher level. As the bar is pushed higher we have to improve to remain competitive. By being challenged we all learn more about ourselves, about our inner potential and about what we can realize. We live only once and it is a waste to go through life without ever realizing one’s full potential.
The way to learn about your potential and put it to work is to remain challenged and stretched.
In other words, you can’t let yourself be too comfortable for too long. Push yourself out of that situation into a not impossible, just really hard situation. Your learning curve will again steepen and you will continue to grow as an individual and professional.
My third and final piece of advice is based on something I learned at a conference 20 years ago. This one speaker was a renowned performance psychologist and he was talking about motivation and what drives people to perform at their highest level. His talk was about your inner voice that allows you to perform at levels that seemed unattainable before.
Here is what he said:
Imagine you have two tall buildings. Someone puts a plank of wood between them — and says奔月蜀客 , “You get a million dollars to cross that plank, but if you fall, you die.” Now, you’ll probably say, “Okay, only 1 percent will fall. But what if that 1 percent is me? Not worth it.”
But what if instead, your brother is up there, and he is about to fall off that building, and you need to cross that plank to save him.
You’re going to cross that plank. Your brother’s life is a much more powerful reason to perform and walk the plank than the million dollars.
In other words, when the motivation was about only you and the potential to make a million dollars, it was not strong enough. When the motivation was elevated, and it now became about your brother and his wellbeing; that made all the difference.
A higher order of motivation is not only about you but about other people and the world around you.
If you want to accomplish something extraordinary, a big dream, you have to choose that higher order of motivation. A motivation that is strong and durable is essential if you hope to perform at your highest level. It will give you the courage to take risks. It will give you the drive to overcome nay-sayers or doubters.
And that’s not all. A higher order motivation will provide you a North Star, a reference point — that will get you down the right path and make it easy for you to do the right thing, even when the right thing is hard.
So as you enter this new phase, make sure you have a measure, a test, that is bigger than just you.
For me, that test has always been the people around me: family, friends, colleagues at work.
It is a great gift to have people you care so much about that you don’t want to disappoint them. Am I excited to tell them about my work? Will they be proud of my decisions 10 or 20 years from now?
That’s the kind of motivation that lasts a lifetime. It’s the kind of motivation that helps you do the right thing, even when it’s hard. And it’s the kind of motivation I hope all of you seek out.
Which brings me back to that auditorium 10 years ago, and a question I couldn’t quite answer. “What would the world miss if our company did not exist?” Trying to tackle this question has helped us become better a better version of ourselves. We realized we should strive to do more than just sell our products. We should be truly indispensable to our customers, consumers, and to the communities in which we operate. That mission — that dream — informs everything we do today.
My point is simply that just thinking about this question — asking yourself why humanity would be worse off without you — will get you motivated to go down the right path. To take the high road. To do the right thing.
And when people with your talent and drive find that path — when people like you strive not just to be successful, but exceptional, it really does change the world. Every day, Stanford GSB alumni are building new industries from the ground up; bringing new life to iconic companies, restoring our faith in public service; rethinking the way we fight poverty, eradicate disease打工情歌 , combat climate change and educate our kids.
Today, you join them. And if you bet on people, as Stanford GSB and your parents have bet on you … if you strive to keep your learning curve steep, just as you have over the last 2 years … and constantly seek out that higher motivation, like the long line of graduates carrying on Stanford GSB tradition, then you too will leave your mark on the world.
Even if you don’t remember a single word your commencement speaker said.
So thank you again for this honor, and congratulations to the class of 2018!
文章来源:啤酒日报、斯坦福商学院

长按识别以下二维码即可关注我们!
景联移民留学将竭诚为您服务!